Thursday, December 21, 2006

ANGELS SING AT O.S.U. AIRPORT

ANGELS SING AT O.S.U. AIRPORT HANGAR

It really IS a cold, cold, world. In it, photographs of tortured detainees mingle with TV images of bombed civilians, and a scantily clad Paris Hilton on a spree! And the polar ice is melting --- yes, I'm a believer. --- Yet, amidst all of this very real negativity, I can testify: I have heard the angels sing. I've seen Them too.

They wear long black evening dresses with airy white stoles. Most of Them possess dark hair which they wear long, like angels do. THEY are the Dublin Kauffman High School Women's Symphonic Choir under the fabulous and generous direction of Cyndi Brewer.

I heard Them! They sang Silent Night, The Night Before Christmas, Rachmaninoff's Carol of the Bells, and other classical and semi classical offerings. They included their favorite Rag Time/ Jazz Age song, Ma He's Makin' Eyes at Me, --- with choreography! Some of the young women --- I mean angels, --- came in late, inobtrusively, from a swim meet! But the ensemble never missed a jingle or a beat!

The scene of this concert was the vast Ohio State University Airport Hangar at a holiday party given by the Experimental Aircraft Association Chapter 9 on December 16. The atmosphere was gala, and the acoustics resembled those in a European cathedral. The angelic voices rose angelically, on pitch and pure, to the rafters and the beams, which one US AirForce veteran, age 90, speculated "are wood beams, not metal, so there's a different echo, and this building goes back to the twenties or thirties."

The esteemed poet T.S. Eliot once wrote that he had "heard the mermaids singing, each to each." In similar fashion I can testify that I've heard the angels sing to a twenties beat, and They sound absolutely. . . celestial.

For 2007 the motto for LizJames ArtScene is: If I experience art that is in some way exceptional, I'll try to write about it.